badge

Maya - A fairy who found me in the woods

Deep into the forest, along the riverside, was my cottage. I was sitting along the windowsill sipping a cup of tea, adoring the beauty of nature. The sun had a tough time penetrating through the dense thickets of canopy cover, the temperature was subtle and pleasant. I took my pen and started to scribble, inhaling the scenic scent of the red sandalwood trees and the British-influenced eucalyptus trees. Just then, I saw a girl outside the cottage under a Silver Oak tree in the middle of the tea estate. She looked bubbly in her blue gown. Her chubby cheeks curled at the gentle breeze that swayed across.

She waved at me from a distance and called out my name in a melodious tone. I was stunned. Her voice reminded me of this beautiful migrant, Pied Cuckoo. It was pleasing, calm and cute.

Meanwhile, my mind was bombarded with many questions. Who is she? How does she know my name? Do I know her? She looks familiar, though.

Maya - A fairy who found me in the woods
Illustration credit - Anaga Narayanan

Maybe my binocular could help, I told myself and took it for a better view. It was an old Olympus 8x40 binocular, which I had been using extensively for bird watching.

Positioning the binocular, I saw the girl under the same tree. She was fair and small, she had short hair that was left loose and fell all over her face. (I definitely knew her).

I narrowed my focus and saw something astonishing. My eyes widened.

It is crane!!!!! Sarus crane, I screamed! But how? They were soaring up to the sky from around her. What is she? I wondered.

While she was standing still, hundreds of cranes flew away. One of them came near my window, perched on a branch, jumped for a while, and left. Was it trying to convey something or checking the strength of the branch, I never knew! But it was a stunning sight! Not just the bird, but the very sight of it coming from within her, one by one; juvenile-then-turned-adult, stretching its wings and taking a flight, just like that! It was like it was coming from an alternate universe….

After about a minute, all the cranes took flight and were lost in woods, I turned around to check on the girl and she was gone…

Unable to digest the scene that just happened, I took another sip of tea and continued writing. Words started to flow and so did the melody of Malabar whistling thrush from a distance.

All I could think of, was her eyes and its magnificent radiance. Maya, I named her, a scintillating sun who appeared in woods and gave birth to those wondrous cranes, that flew away in flocks into the high sky. When she stood still, she was like an angel shining in the sunshine. Her presence made the silver Oak tree shimmer like a fair-weather cumulus cloud.

As I continued writing, I sensed a brief movement along the tea estate. People were screaming. "It's a bear", "Run for your life”.

Panic stricken; people were running all around the place. Some were climbing the trees; some were running towards the building and some were sprinting towards the stream. The Sloth bear seemed to have no idea of what was happening. But he looked disturbed and got agitated because of the chaos. He stopped walking and started munching the tea leaves, which caused further uproar amongst the estate labourers. One of them went close, with a stick and tried to drive off the animal. But the bear pounced on him and smacked him with its sharp claws.

While the poor guy was battling for his life, the bear suddenly stopped and stepped aside. It started to soothe the wounds instead, which surprisingly began to heal. I could not believe my own eyes. I was witnessing a visual marvel! The bear seemed to be obeying someone, it was constantly nodding and waving to the nearest tree. I narrowed my focus to the tree to see Maya! She was standing up on the branches of the silver oak tree and I saw a pair of Malabar Whistling thrushes on her shoulders.

As I admired her from my windowpane, she turned around and looked at me. She looked absolutely stunning with her round eyes surmounted by kajal. Her intense pale-blue eyes were piercing and angelic. Besides, her strong cheekbones and rosy lips were sparkling. The dark hair added colour to the entire surface. I was totally immersed into her when I heard something out of nowhere, ‘Alright, that's enough!’

‘What? Where did that come from?’ I was shocked.

With the wink of an eye, the thrushes flew away and like a flash, she appeared on my window ledge alongside me. She came closer and hugged me, I was paralysed. Her hands were hot; it was soothing in that cold weather. She shrivelled as my breath fell on her neck and ears. Heat soared with the tightness of her grip and beads of sweat dripped down my brows. She then kissed me, with her soft juicy lips. It was deep and therapeutic. I lost myself in that kiss and started to whisper – My Maya…

 

“He is whispering again. Nurse, call the girl,” screamed the doctor who was examining my file, while I was on bed due Alzheimer’s disease for the past 5 years.

Maya - A fairy who found me in the woods Maya - A fairy who found me in the woods Reviewed by Gowthama Rajavelu on 12:52 Rating: 5

25 comments:

  1. I didn't see this coming at the end!! Good one. Suggestion some other story of yours in the reply. I will check that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Puvi for the compliments. Do check our The Post Office and Nisha chronicles..

      Delete
  2. Priyadharshini G S25 May 2021 at 12:12

    The story offers rich visuals in the reader's imagination and loved the way the women is described. A gentle nudge to indicate how the bear/animals wish/es to live in harmony with nature and humans was portrayed with just the right amount of intensity - first a slap, and then some caring gesture by the animal. The story feels fresh and nice. Keep writing and sharing, Gowtham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Priya. Yes if we allow nature as it is, it will be nice to us. And it will be beautiful to observe too. I hope someday people realise that and learn to live together at peace. Glad you liked the story.

      Delete
  3. What a story! And the end was too good👌👌 your words powerfully bring out the beauty of the scene in front of the eyes.. loved Maya❤️ அழகழகான என் Maya ❤️ looking fwd to moree from you😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments. Happy to hear from you!

      Delete
  4. Heyo... U ve done it again buddy... Interesting choice of words... Clear images... Sharp description and vivid instances... The last few lines actually very touching... It kinda reminded me how dead man's heart yearns for love that heals him inside out.... More power to your imagination, observations and pens.... Anagha.. artist to artist... Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The article is very interesting and valid. Thank you and good luck for your future post. Uwa Postgraduate Scholarships

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice and informative page, your blog contains lot of useful information. Thanks for sharing it. Microcenter Black Friday Deals

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Thank you for sharing this amazing post, I really appreciate your work You may want to check out hanahaki disease cause

    ReplyDelete


  8. Nice article I was really impressed seeing this article, it was very interesting and it is very useful for me. You might want to check out does UPS test package delivery drivers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got some wonderful knowledge from this post. The post is very informative and helpful also. Thanks for sharing such a post. Keep it up. Illinois Institute of Technology Times Ranking

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are providing good points here. It is really helpful and factual information for us and for everyone to increase in knowledge. Continue sharing. Small Business Grants 2021

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found so many exciting matters in this particular content, I would like to request please keep posting such informative content. Check out free money grants

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, my name is Mo Akram. I am the founder of PayizaTech and CTO of Colexion. From the past 5 years, I am working in Blockchain Technology field and firmly believes that it is the future of tech industry. Stay connected here with me for all the latest news and updates!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, my name is moakram. I am the founder of PayizaTech and CTO of Colexion. From the past 5 years, I have been working in the Blockchain Technology field and firmly believe that it is the future of the tech industry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. >I’ve been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. Please kindly check out help with grief quotes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) seem to have really exploded out of the ether this year. From art as well as also songs to tacos as well as bathroom tissue, these digital homes are marketing like 17th-century one-of-a-kind Dutch tulips– some for many bucks.
    Yet are NFTs worth the money– or the hype? Some professionals say they’re a bubble positioned to stand out, like the dot-com craze or Beanie Newborns. Others think NFTs are listed below to stay, and that they will certainly alter spending for life. href="https://bestnftmarketplace.wordpress.com/2022/01/20/non-fungible-tokens-what-you-needed-to-know-nfts/"> Read More

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic article, very interesting and effective, I enjoyed reading through as it explains everything in clear terms. Thanks for sharing. admiralty university cut off mark for forensic science

    ReplyDelete
  17. How to download the App for Android, iOS and Apple TV - Jam
    This is a simple app from the App Store. Here 군산 출장안마 is the complete rundown and layout 동두천 출장안마 of all the different betting 경상남도 출장샵 apps, games and 익산 출장마사지 apps 고양 출장마사지 for Android and iOS

    ReplyDelete

  18. Global Sun Visor Market Size, Share, Price, Trends, Growth, Report and Forecast 2022-2027’, gives an in-depth analysis of the global Sun Visor Market, assessing the market based on its segments like surface materials, types, vehicle types, sales channels, and major regions. The report tracks the latest trends in the industry and studies their impact on the overall market. It also assesses the market dynamics, covering the key demand and price indicators, along with analyzing the market based on the SWOT and Porter’s Five Forces models. The global market for sun visors is being driven by the deployment of sun visors in the interior of a vehicle to protect the passengers and the driver from direct sunlight. Accidents caused by hampered vision due to excess sunlight are rising at an alarming rate, and thus necessitating the need for sun visors.




    If you wish to see more reports check here : Asia Pacific Vaccine Market, Micro Inverter Market, Albumin Market, Middle East and Africa Cybersecurity Market,Fibreglass Pipes Market, Learning Management System Market, States Flooring Market, Sports and Energy Drinks Market, Brazil Healthcare, Sterilisation Services Market, Media Monitoring Tools Market

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is Called a Nicely Written Content . Thanks For Sharing Such a Informative Article here . Also Check .Top AI Colleges in India

    ReplyDelete

© Creatikaa. Powered by Blogger.